Call for applications: "Artists and Scientists in Residence" at the ligeti center
Extended Deadline: January 17 – March 04, 2024.
As part of the “Artists and Scientists in Residence” program, the ligeti center will enable interdisciplinary artistic-scientific projects with the clear aim of collaborating with various labs at the center. We cordially invite artists and scientists specializing in sound and multimedia productions to apply for our residency program at our Production Lab with a duration of three months, spanning from July to September 2024. In the decision-making process, the jury will consider the novelty of the project, its potential to collaborate with the various labs at the center, and the professional expertise of the applicant. We accept single-author applications as well as applications from artistic-scientific duos. When applying as a duo, we require evidence of prior collaborations in areas such as technical interface development for artistic productions and/or a profound dialogue between artistic and scientific concepts. The fellows are expected to deliver a post-residency talk and present their work and outcome of their projects at the center.
What do we expect?
• Continuous and ongoing independent artistic activities in multimedia productions, spatial audio, interactive design, media-based practices, and/or experimental sound production (documented in a portfolio and/or CV).
• A cohesive project proposal with the potential to be released within the proposed period of 3 months and the ligeti center technical infrastructure.
• Project proposal should highlight novel perspectives (conceptual perspectives, novel product designs, new technical approaches, etc.) in the aforementioned artistic fields.
• Willingness to collaborate with the various labs on site (motivation letter).
• When applying as a duo: evidence of prior collaborations in areas such as technical interface development for artistic productions and/or a profound dialogue between artistic and scientific concepts.
What do we offer?
• A monthly stipend of €1200 net for a single-author residency. In the case of applying as a duo, the monthly sum is €2400.
• Accommodation by the Alfred Toepfer Stiftung F.V.S. at Elbehaus in Hamburg for the length of the residency.
• Technical support and individual technical needs will be provided by the ligeti center staff.
• Motivating working environment and creative exchange.
• Professional documentation of the events related to the residency. An additional opportunity to present the works created during the residency at the annual Blurred Edges Festival.
• All the required information must be sent as a zipped folder or a non-expiring download link to email@example.com the subject line “Artists and Scientists in Residence July-September 2024 LAST NAME”. Applications sent by any other means will not be considered.
• The submission period is January 17 – February 17, 2024. The deadline is midnight on February 17, 2024 (CET), and applications sent after will not be considered.
• New:The submission period is January 17 – March 04, 2024. The deadline is midnight on March 04, 2024 (CET), and applications sent after will not be considered.
• Authors are responsible for the application’s content; incomplete applications cannot be considered.
• All submission materials are considered confidential and will not be used by ligeti center or any third party without the consent of the applicant.
• All applicants will be informed of the application process outcome by the end of March 2024.
• Detailed CV and/or artistic-scientific portfolio with max. 5 work samples and audio/visual documentation as a .pdf file
• A motivation letter (1-2 pages) specifying the interest and readiness to work at ligeti center
• Project title and short description (2000 characters)
• A detailed project description (1-2 pages), including an in-depth description of the novelty of the proposed project and the concept for collaborative research with the laboratories on site. The projects should clearly address artistic challenges that can be explored using the “Production Lab” and other resources at ligeti center.
• A short proposal for a possible workshop for students and/or general audiences in Hamburg. The workshop formats can include, but are not limited to, performative lectures, software tutorials and introductions to novel technologies.